Recent projects: chicken wire frame

November 11, 2014
You know how life sometimes gets in the way? Well that’s what happened with this project. I bought the frame a few months ago at the Oronoco Gold Rush Days, an awesome antique show/flea market/swap meet. I’m a bit ashamed to admit it was in August. And it’s now November. And I just finished. BUT at least I finished!
Some friends and I went to the Gold Rush on the last day. I was told that prices were often marked down, though we were running the risk of all the “good stuff” being gone. Well, treasures were there to be found my friends! I scored an awesome bench for our entry way and a vintage lace wedding dress. Yes, I did call my then-fiance and told him I’d bought a second dress (gosh I’m so funny). There is a ton of lace on the dress in perfect condition which is now patiently waiting in my closet for inspiration to hit.
At the end of the day, we came upon a stall where everything was marked half off. Obviously we stopped. That’s when I found this guy. For a whopping $5, it was all mine!
I knew exactly what I wanted to do with the frame. I started by stripping off the original paint. Unbeknownst to me, underneath the layer of (awful) green paint was another layer of (even more awful) yellow paint! So the stripping process took longer than I had originally planned and by the time the paint was mostly off, I was done for the day.
Fast forward a few more weeks, when Keith and I were quickly tackling the coffee table I talked about here. Since the paint was out, I decided to quickly paint the frame. Once that was finished, all I had to do was attach the chicken wire.
Except that I didn’t like the paint color. I was using the minty blue-green I’d used in a number of other projects, and I think I overdid it. So the frame sat disassembled in the garage for a few more weeks.
About two weeks ago, I went to Adourn for a milk paint demo. BINGO! Found the perfect color for the frame! It only took me two weeks after the demo to find a free Sunday to finish the piece. I lugged the frame into the basement, which is now my crafting area of choice, and painted the whole frame with Trophy, a stunning deep gray from Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk Paint. Piece of cake. Now to just add the chicken wire.
It was then I realized I didn’t have a staple gun which is very necessary for putting the chicken wire on the back. A quick trip to Home Depot remedied that, and I was finally finished (after some help hammering from the ever-so-helpful Sylvia).
Life is funny sometimes. I always think “oh, I could be a crafty person and make some really cool things” and I fill up my Pinterest board with hopeful projects. But then time slides by and my projects end up sitting in the garage for weeks (or months).

But when things do settle down for a few moments and I come back to those half-forgotten projects, I am always so excited just to be making something with my own hands. With this project especially, I feel really proud that the finished piece turned out just how I wanted it to. It reminded me that I am crafty, as long as I remember to spend some time doing what I enjoy.  

No Comments

Leave a Reply